Thursday, July 2, 2009

Blackberries are for eating...

Have you ever noticed how many people talk on their phones incessantly? On the bus, at parties, walking down the street, driving?

It's amazing to me, but it also makes me wonder if they realize how lonely they appear to be. There are people all around and they need to talk on their phones. How many times have they missed out on the opportunity to talk to a person right there in their presence.

Another reason that people may feel they need to be SEEN talking on their phones is self-esteem...LOW self-esteem. In order to feel important, they talk on their phones, LOUD, AND IN CROWDED SITUATIONS OR PUBLIC AREAS. This, to me, is the saddest reflection of loneliness and low self-esteem. And, the most annoying. I waver between wanting to tell this person that they are not alone in the world...we (John Q Public) are here - we'll talk to them...really...just give us a try...to WILL YOU JUST GET A PHONEBOOTH!!! No one wants to hear your latest deal or that you're breaking up with your boyfriend or that you grandmother has cut you out of the will...these are conversations that I've actually heard while riding A BUS!!!

GET OVER YOURSELF...there are other people in the world. They don't want to hear your conversations, or be left out of your conversations in some instances. I would just once, love to walk up to someone screaming into their phone and start screaming in conversation with them and the person on the other end of the phone. WHAT? I am part of your conversation because you are forcing me to listen to you so why can't I join in? Oh...it's none of my business...well then S-H-U-T U-P or get a phonebooth!

2 comments:

  1. Did someone make you mad? :) I have to agree. I wish people would be more considerate of others when they feel they "need" to be on the phone. I always hang up when I'm checking out at the store or I'm in a place (elevator, car, etc) with other people. Why should I subject them to my conversation? I don't want them listening and I'm pretty much forcing them to in that type of situation...

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once was out to dinner and at the next table sat six people - each one was talking on their phone to someone else. Not one of them was talking to another person at the table. I wondered at the time why they had all "gone out to dinner together" when they were just going to talk on their phones to others who weren't there. They might as well have stayed home.

    ReplyDelete